Saturday, January 12, 2008

My first post

Hello, my name is Jennifer Rawls and i am currently a freshman at Florida State University. I am taking EME 2040 to fulfill a requirement in my academic path for the career that i plan on pursuing after i graduate from school.
Unfortunately, i am a rookie to the field of technology; i can only do as much as the directions tell me to do with computers and the latest gadgets. I took a computer class this summer that taught me a lot about the different programs that microsoft has to offer such as word, excel, powerpoint, and a few other programs. I dont remember half of the material that was provided for us to learn from that class because we were fed the information in such a small window of time, and i dont learn very well when my time is limited .
I am looking forward to going back over all of the programs that i touched base with previously this summer and more. I never really learned how to do a powerpoint on my own, so i'm interested in doing that, and i cant wait until we go over how to use the online gradebook because this subject closely pertains to the field of work that i plan on doing after college, which is of course becoming a teacher.
The first day of class was kind of rough for me when we tried to create our blogs, post something from the blog to the blackboard account, and do our first assignment on the blog website. It seemed a little fast-paced for me simply because the teacher was telling the directions by speaking. I learned that i am a visual learner because it would have been much easier for me if the teacher would have given me written instructions on a piece of paper or if he would have gone over the assignment slowly on a computer himself. It was very distracting as i tried to follow along as the teacher was talking and some other student was doing the tasks the thatwere being commanded on the front computer that everyone could see. The class seemed really interesting and i am anxious to see what the next class will bring!

1 comment:

jgentile said...

Jennifer,

Sorry day 1 was a bit hectic. I originally thought that doing the assignment on the big screen so that everyone could watch and follow along would be easier, but I see what you mean. As far as written assignments go, each of them are listed out in the assignments area of our Blackboard page. On the other hand, they aren't listed in exact step by step detail. You may have to raise your hand in class and wave me over so you can let me know you need additional assistance on a step. You are probably not the only one that feels like this. You'll be doing me a favor if you let me know if I am going to fast.